IV Therapy New York City
Introduction to IV Therapy
Sometimes, it doesn’t matter how much you work out, your diet, or what sort of vitamins you intake daily, our bodies can sometimes have a hard time getting the right balance to run efficiently. Thankfully, at William Lao, MD Plastic Surgery in New York City, we offer our patients an effective way to get their bodies feeling 100% again. IV Therapy is rapidly becoming a fantastic solution for everything from the common cold to a long night of partying.
What is IV Therapy?
IV (intravenous) Therapy is a treatment that allows your body to receive various medications and vitamins through your veins, which is the fastest transfer method. It works by using a syringe or drip to deliver the medication quickly through your bloodstream.
The treatment uses a variety of vitamins, medications, and other fluids to make a “cocktail” that is designed to treat a multitude of issues your body may experience. When our patients receive these solutions, they can experience fast results in a relaxing setting with no recovery time.
Types of Fluids and Vitamins Available for IV Therapy
Your IV Therapy can be tailored to meet your body’s specific needs, so the fluids inside an IV bag will depend on your therapy. Many intravenous solutions may contain saline, vitamins, minerals, and medications, but are usually a combination. Our IV bags can include the following solutions:
- Antioxidants: used to protect your body’s cells from a number of different diseases
- Glutathione: primarily used as an “antiaging” treatment, it can be performed once every two weeks to help remove toxins, assist in liver detoxification, improve energy levels, boost metabolism and assist in joint and muscle discomfort. Works great with reducing some of the effects of stress and improving Athletic performance and recovery.
- Lactated Ringer’s: a solution that consists of water, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, and sodium lactate. It is most often used to treat dehydration.
- Magnesium: a mineral that helps healthy metabolic function with numerous benefits, including inflammation reduction, leg cramps, and migraine prevention.
- Myers Cocktail: a solution consisting of several B-vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, and magnesium, amongst a few other minerals, the Meyers Cocktail can help alleviate numerous medical conditions including allergies, asthma, cardiovascular diseases, depression, fatigue, fibromyalgia, migraines, muscle spasm, and upper respiratory tract infections. It can even help those suffering from Narcotic withdrawals all the way to helping improve Athletic performance and everything in between. Best if received once or twice a month.
- Saline: normally the base ingredient of an IV bag, which is made up of water and sodium chloride, acting as a delivery system for the other components of your IV therapy and hydrating the body.
- Vitamin B: Vitamins B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, B-9, and B-12 are collectively known as the vitamin B complex which contributes to important bodily functions, such as metabolism and nerve function. It is often used for patients who have trouble naturally absorbing vitamins.
- Vitamin C: is important for a healthy immune system function and sustains the immune system’s pathogen response, helping it fight and prevent diseases.
What are the Benefits of IV Therapy?
IV therapy can be beneficial for many different people for different reasons. Two of the main benefits for anyone who wants to try IV therapy include:
Ease and convenience: If you are feeling under the weather, you probably don’t want to head to the hospital unless necessary. For many common symptoms, IV therapy is an easy and convenient option. The insertion of the IV is relatively painless, just a small pinch. After it is inserted, you should feel minimal discomfort. The IV drip will do its job while you watch TV, read or work on your device.
Health and wellness: For the most part, IV therapy is used to promote health and wellness. The infusion of fluids, vitamins, and minerals can help support a healthy immune system, promote healthy skin and keep you hydrated. The right balance of vitamins and minerals in the body can also help improve your energy levels.
Who are the Best Candidates for IV Therapy?
Anyone can be a great candidate for IV Therapy as there are so many combinations that can be created. IV Therapy can do wonders for those who need treatment for the following symptoms:
- Athletic performance recovery
- Cold and flu relief
- Immune system
- Migraine and headache relief
- Pregnancy symptom alleviation
If you are currently dealing with high blood pressure or heart disease, IV Therapy may not be best for you as there is a lot of sodium in the solutions.
What’s the First Step?
If you are in need of IV Therapy in the New York City area, the first step is to contact our office and schedule a free consultation. When you come in for your evaluation, you will be able to address your needs for IV Therapy, ask any questions you may have regarding the treatment, and get the best recommendations for which cocktail(s) would be best for you.
If you agree with the assessment, then you may get your IV Therapy right then, or you can schedule your session for a time that suits you better with our Patient Coordinator. You must be open about your medical history. Honesty is the only way you can have the best results from IV Therapy as well as avoid any negative reactions or side effects.
What to Expect on the Day of IV Therapy
When you come into our office for your IV Therapy, the infusion is administered by inserting a needle into one of your veins. The needle is attached to a small tube which is connected to an IV bag containing the prescribed medication. Once everything is set up, the solution slowly begins to drip into your bloodstream. There will always be someone monitoring your infusion, so we encourage you to bring your laptop or reading material, or just relax in our reclining chair during your session.
Your whole therapy session will last between 45 minutes to an hour.
IV Therapy Recovery
Once you are finished with your therapy, you should begin feeling the positive effects almost immediately as the IV fluids replenish your hydration and electrolytes. Most patients will leave feeling energized and refreshed and will experience their benefits for some time after treatment. You will be able to return to your daily activities and should experience zero downtime.
Why Choose Dr. Lao?
William Lao, MD is a double-board-certified plastic surgeon and uses his practice to provide the best results possible using customized procedures and advanced surgical & non-surgical techniques and concepts from both Eastern and Western cultures. Our world-renowned practice blends art, science, and aesthetics to provide all of our patients with a first-class experience and quality results. Dr. William Lao is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
How Much Does IV Therapy Cost in New York City?
The cost of IV Therapy in New York City will vary from session to session and depends on what sort of solutions are being used. When you come in for your consultation and explain what your needs for treatment are, the perfect “cocktail” can be created for you. Once the ingredients have been decided on, you will be informed how much the session will cost before being administered anything.
Is IV Therapy painful?
How many appointments will I need?
How long until I feel results?
Can I combine IV Therapy with other procedures?
What are the risks associated with IV Therapy?
- Anaphylaxis (severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction) (Rare)
- Circulatory overload (pulmonary edema develops primarily due to volume excess or circulatory overload) (Rare)
- Extravasation (unintentional leakage of vesicant fluids or medications from the vein into the surrounding tissue)
- Itchiness at the injection site
- Muscle Stiffness
- Phlebitis (inflammation of a vein)
- Speed shock (a physiological reaction to IV medication or drugs that are administered too quickly)
Schedule Your Consultation
When you’re ready to get started with your IV Therapy sessions, don’t hesitate to call Wiliam Lao, MD Plastic Surgery at (929) 505-2060 or request a consultation on our website. We will be able to provide you with the best options and suggestions to help you get back on your feet and feeling fantastic again. Contact us today!