Meet Dr. William Lao
Double-board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. William Lao has a comprehensive understanding of the aesthetic ideals of both East and West and over a decade of extensive education and training in the field of plastic surgery. Dr. Lao combines advanced surgical techniques and concepts from both worlds and customizes procedures to provide the best results possible.
A renowned double-board-certified plastic surgeon in both the USA and Taiwan, Dr. William Lao has dedicated himself to providing patients with personalized care and results that look stunningly natural. Over the course of his education and professional career, Dr. Lao has honed his surgical precision, technical skill, and eye for aesthetics.
Dr. Lao is the recipient of numerous honors and awards that highlight his skills and research. He has published numerous articles in renowned medical journals on topics including aesthetic surgery, reconstructive surgery, and oral cancer. Dr. Lao has also dedicated time to holding educational presentations covering a wide array of topics with the goal of informing others and cultivating further research in these fields.
Born in Taipei, Taiwan, Dr. Lao soon became a student of the world, receiving his high school education in Vancouver, Canada, before moving to the United States to attend the prestigious Johns Hopkins University. There, he completed a double major in biomedical engineering and computer science. He went on to pursue and earn his Doctorate of Medicine at Johns Hopkins.
From there, Dr. Lao further pursued his education by completing six years of integrated residency training at the Medical College of Wisconsin in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He followed that by completing one of the most coveted aesthetic surgery fellowships under Dr. Sherrell J. Aston in New York.
Dr. Lao then took on the position of attending physician in the plastic surgery department of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Taipei. He returned to Manhattan, where he opened up his own private practice.
Over the course of his career, Dr. Lao has earned memberships in the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. He is a founding member of the Asian Society for Breast Plastic Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Lao has also completed a Research and Clinical Fellowship in Reconstructive Microsurgery at the Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Linkou, Taiwan, and Aesthetic Surgery at the Manhattan Eye Ear & Throat Hospital (MEETH)/New York University (NYU) in New York, USA.
When it comes to the results he provides, Dr. Lao believes that a natural look is best. Precision and artistry come together to create dramatic aesthetic enhancement while retaining a completely natural and untouched look.
- Member of American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Member of American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Member of International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
- Faculty and Live Surgery Demonstrator for 6th Chang Gung Aesthetic Forum 2016
- Founding Member of Asian Society for Breast Plastic Reconstructive Surgery
- Best Research Award 2013, Medical College of Wisconsin
- 2011 Research Scholarship from Overseas Compatriot Affairs Commissions Taiwan
- Member of Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Member of the Golden Key International Honour Society
- Member of the Alpha Eta Mu Beta Biomedical Engineering Honor Society
- Member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Canadian Governor General Award
- Canadian Provincial Scholarship
- Lao WW. Defy aging with volume restoration. Best-In-Class Surgeons: Procedures and Outcomes in Plastic Surgery. London, UK: BB Publication.
- Lao WW. Ethnic considerations in liposuction. In C Chia, S Theodorou, Dayan E, Emerging Technologies in Face and Body Contouring. New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers.
- Lao WW, Abdollahi H, Tabbal N. Cosmetic open rhinoplasty. In T Tran, S Thaller, Z Panthaki, & J Hoballah, Operative dictations in plastic and reconstructive surgery. New York, NY: Springer.
- Lao WW, Abdollahi H, Matarasso A. Short scar facelift with Quill sutures and fibrin sealant. In T Tran, S Thaller, Z Panthaki, & J Hoballah, Operative dictations in plastic and reconstructive surgery. New York, NY: Springer.
- Matarasso A, Abdollahi H, Lao WW. Managing the components of the aging neck: From liposuction to submentalplasty, to neck lift. In M Shiffman & A Giuseppe (2nd Edition), Liposuction: Principles and practice. New York, NY: Springer.
- Matsui, C, Lao WW, Tanaka T et al. Dynamic Changes on Video-capillaroscopy and potential application: Temperature and skin surface readings. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open April 2022 10(4) pe4265
- Kwon SH, Lao WW, Lee CH et al. Experiences and attitudes toward aesthetic procedures in East Asia: a cross-sectional survey of five geographical regions. Archives of Plastic Surgery. 2021 Nov
- Ramirez AE, Hsieh TY, Cardenas JP, Lao WW. Abdominoplasty: My Preferred Techniques. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Dec
- Lao WW, Hsieh TY, Ramirez AE. Differences and similarities between Eastern and Western Rhinoplasty: Features and prosposed algorithms. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Nov
- Kwon SH, Lao WW, Hsu AT et al. The preferred management of a single-digit distal phalanx amputation. J Recon Microsurg. 2020 May: 36(4): 301-310
- Larsson JC, Chen TY, Lao WW. Integrating fat graft with blepharoplasty to rejuvenate the Asian periorbita. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019 Oct.
- Ryu MH, Kahng D, Khoo LS, Lao WW. Preserving orbicularis branches of the Zygomatic nerve with the Orbicularis Oculi Muscle – Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System Flap complex in facelift surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Oct.
- Lao WW, Larsson J. Periorbital rejuvenation with fat grafting. Plastic Surgery Education Network. 2018 Oct
- Wang CI, Yu CJ, Huang Y, Yi JS, Cheng HW, Kao HK, Lao WW, Chang KP. Association of overexpressed karyopherin alpha 2 with poor survival and its contribution to interleukin-1b-induced matrix metalloproteinase expression in oral cancer. Head Neck. 2018 Mar
- Eltohami Yl, Kao HK, Lao WW, Huang Y, Abdelrahman M, Liao CT, Yen TC, Chang KP. The prediction value of the systemic inflammation score for oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Jan
- Ito R, Huang JJ, Hsieh WC, Kao HK, Lao WW, Fang KH, Huang YL, Chang YL, Cheng MH, Chang KP. Identification of predisposing factors for osteonecrosis of the jaw after marginal mandibulectomy in the surgical management of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Journal of Surgical Oncology. J Surg Oncol. 2017 Nov
- Kwon SH, Lao WW, Yen CI, Lin YT, Wu KP, Chang TN. Aesthetic multiple-toe reconstruction with combined iliac bone graft and wraparound free anterolateral thigh flap – A case report and literature review. Ann Plast Surg. 2017 Feb
- Lao WW, Sanger JR. Marjolin’s Ulcer from a chronic venous stasis ulcer – a case report and a review of literature. Journal of Taiwan Society of Plastic Surgery. 2015 Jun; 24(2):168-174
- Ramirez AE, Lao WW, Wang YL, Cheng HY, Wei FC. Two stage face transplantation: a new concept in vascularized composite allotransplantation. Microsurgery. 2015 Mar;35(3):218-226
- Lao WW, Sanger JR. Symptomatic ischemia resulting from late upper extremity venous graft occlusion. Formosan Journal of Surgery. 2015 Feb; 48:44-48
- LoGiudice JA, Wyler von Ballmoos MC, Gasparri MM, Lao WW. When the gastrointestinal conduit for total esophageal reconstruction is not an option: review of the role of skin flaps and report of salvage with a single stage tubed anterolateral thigh flap. Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Dec.
- Ramirez AE, Cheng HY, Lao WW, Wang YL, Wen CJ, Wallace CG, Lin CF, Shih LY, Chuang SH Wei FC. A novel rat full thickness hemi-abdominal wall/hindlimb osteomyocutaneous combined flap: influence of allograft mass and vascularized bone marrow content on vascularized composite allograft survival. Transpl Int. 2014 Sep;27(9):977-986
- Lao WW, Wang YL, Ramirez, AE, Cheng HY, Wei FC. A new rat model for orthotopic abdominal wall allotransplantation. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2014 May 7;2(4):e136
- Lao WW, Denny AD. Internal distraction osteogenesis to correct symptomatic cephalocranial disproportion. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Nov;126(5):1677-1688
- Lao WW, Niparko JK. Assessment of changes in cochlear function with pneumolabyrinth after middle ear trauma. Otol Neurotol. 2007 Dec;28(8):1013-1017
- Lao WW. Endoscopic Transaxillary Breast Augmentation. Lenox Hill Hospital Plastic Surgery Grand Round. New York July 2022
- Lao WW. Algorithm for Asian Rhinoplasty: Western and Eastern Aesthetics. Taiwan Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Zoom October 2021
- Lao WW. Algorithm for Asian Rhinoplasty: Western and Eastern Aesthetics. Philippine Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Zoom March 2021
- Lao WW. Periorbital Rejuvenation with Fat Grafting. International Chang Gung Aesthetics Conferences. Zoom Oct 2020
- Lao WW. Periorbital Adjunct Procedures. International Chang Gung Aesthetics Conferences. Zoom Oct 2020
- Lao WW. Differences and Similarities between Western and Eastern Aesthetics. Grand Round Virtual Visiting Professor. Emory University. Zoom June 2020
- Lao WW. Differences and Similarities between Western and Eastern Aesthetics. Grand Round Virtual Visiting Professor. UC Irvine/University of Washington. Zoom April 2020
- Lao WW. Asian Rhinoplasty Revision: Case and Learning Points. International Plastic Surgery Forum. Beijing, China, February 2020
- Lao WW. Threadlifting: Techniques, Complications, and Longevity. 40th Cutting Edge Aesthetic Symposium, New York, USA, December 2019
- Lao WW. Differences and Similarities between Eastern and Western Aesthetics. Lenox Hill Hospital Plastic Surgery Grand Round, New York, USA, December 2019
- Lao WW. Nasal skin cancer reconstruction. Taiwanese Dermatologic Association, Taipei, Taiwan, November 2018.
- Lao WW. Periorbital rejuvenation in Asian. 17th Shanghai International Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Conference, Shanghai, China, March 2018. Taiwan Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Taipei, Taiwan, April 2018. American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, New York, USA, April 2018. Taiwanese Dermatologic Association, Taipei, Taiwan, November 2018.
- Lao WW. Mommy-makeover: Solutions to Post-Partum Breast and Abdomen. Taiwan Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan, November 2017.
- Lao WW. Application of Mastopexy and Breast Reduction Principles for Breast Cancer Reconstruction. 2nd Suzhou Breast Symposium, Suzhou, China, August 2017.
- Lao WW. Application of Botulinum toxin for Facial Aesthetics. Kaohsiung Medical College, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 2017.
- Lao WW. Aesthetic Proportions. China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, October 2016.
- Lao WW. Abdominoplasty: My Preferred Technique. Instructor and Live Surgery Demonstrator. 6th Chang Gung Aesthetic Forum, Taoyuan, Taiwan. September 2016.
- Lao WW, Aston SJ. Periauricular facelift for the bald patient. Oriental Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (OSAPS) 2016, Taipei, Taiwan. International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) 2016, Kyoto, Japan.
- Kwon SH, Lee CH, Lao WW, Wu HT, Cheon YW, Chang NJ. Preference for aesthetic procedures between Taiwan and Korea. 2016 Taiwan Surgical Association annual meeting, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Hsieh WC, Lao WW, Lu CY, Chang NJ. One-staged reconstruction for degloving foot injury using salvaged skin grafting plus negative pressure wound therapy. 2016 Taiwan Surgical Association annual meeting, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Yen CI, Lao WW, Lin YT, Chang NJ. Toe reconstruction with iliac bone graft and wrap around free anterolateral thigh flap. 2016 American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, Phoenix, USA.
- Aston SJ, Lao WW. Video Presentation: Lower lid pinch, autologous fat grafting, and laser. In The Cutting Edge Symposium 2015. New York, New York. Video Editor: William Lao, Audio Editor: Ricardo Somarriba.
- Aston SJ, Tamburrino J, Lao WW. Video Presentation: Periauricular facelift for the bald patient. In The Cutting Edge Symposium 2014. New York, New York. Video Editor: Iniy Lyi, Audio Editor: Ricardo Somarriba.
- Aston SJ, Abdollahi H, Lao WW. Video Presentation: Anatomical basis for various platysma procedures. In The Cutting Edge Symposium 2014. New York, New York. Video Editor: Iniy Lyi, Audio Editor: Ricardo Somarriba.
- Lao WW, Wang YL, Ramirez, AE, Cheng HY, Wei FC. A new rat model for orthotopic abdominal wall allotransplantation. Abstract presented at 2013 ASRM, Naples, Florida and 2013 IPRAS Santiago, Chile and Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons 2013.